Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Moldova Trip Coming To A Close

Today is January 3rd and it is my final full day in Moldova. I'm still at the team house and everyone else is at the orphanage in Orhei. I hit the proverbial wall yesterday physically and had to elect today to stay back in Chisinau. With my recovery timeline from my recent BCG treatments and the travel to Moldova, my body finally said, "enough". It was very humbling to watch everyone leave and a reminder to me that the process of treating my cancer is going to be a full 2 year process. This will certainly be my last trip to Moldova until at least 2013 when I finish my treatments.

The trip has had more highlights than I can post, but here are some:

Having Nancy along and experiencing a mission trip together to Moldova. Watching her with the girl in Falesti and seeing her literally give the sweatshirt off her back, so she could have a new piece of clothing like everyone else was classic Nancy. These kids grabbed a part of her heart. I know this trip was out of her comfort zone and I love that she was willing to come and do this trip by my side. I can't imagine going through this life without her. I truly out kicked my coverage with her!

The quality of some of the orphanages that we saw for the first time and the leadership of the directors. I always worry about the motives of an orphanage director and we met some high quality ones on this trip that are looking out for the kids. The numbers of orphans are going down in this country and facilities will need to be shut down. I pray that they shutdown the right ones.

The JMI team really operated as one on this trip. There was great harmony among everyone and everyone contributed. The team was led by Jennifer Kelly was has a heart for the kids of Moldova that is seldom scene. Her organizational skills are great. Probably her most impressive skill is her ability to remember every child and who sponsors them. It was a huge highlight watching her greet the children that she sponsors and mothers.

The kids are the reason we make this trip and they continue to pull on the strings of my heart. The anticipation of seeing a sponsored child is no different from waiting for your own child to get home after a long absence. Watching the kids faces when Father Christmas walked through the door was priceless. Even the older boys would have big smiles on the faces when they walked up to get their presents.

Lastly, the two images that will stand out for me the most were of two little girls that were experiencing the exact opposite emotion. One little girl was walking to a taxi with her mother for some time at home. The huge smile on her face and the twinkle in her eyes were ones that I will never forget. The other small girl had just been dropped off to the orphanage for the first time. When we were done handing out presents to everyone, we realized that she wasn't on our list and everyone quickly got her a bag of food and a present. Hopefully, we made the worst day in her young a little better.

Tomorrow will be the bittersweet day of being excited to get home and disappointed because of leaving those we have come to love in Moldova.

1 comment:

  1. Dave, you are such an inspiration not only with your determination to fight this cancer but your ability to see that it won't let you stop living life & your compassion above all else. Good for you and I look forward to pictures when you get back.

    ReplyDelete